Saturday, February 18, 2012

Why we need to learn English



English is an International language and a very important one in communicating. Nowadays the world is a big global village. It is like one of big family too.  The people find different cultures and have different ways of doing things. A simple motion can have different meaning s in different cultures.  Someone who is totally acceptable in some cultures, yet some have difficulties to accept it of some of the unfamiliar ways.  In International relations and communication, differences like this can cause serious misunderstandings. These misunderstandings can destroy relationships.

To avoid serious misunderstandings like this, we need to be able to communicate well. If we can speak an international language like English, then it’s easy to communicate with people from all over the world. It also helps build partnerships in promoting international trades, resolving global conflicts and environmental issues, and other matters. Therefore English language is very important in modern times. That is why I would like to study English which will be answer when someone reads this article. Sometimes social problems are arising from learning English in Burma for Buddhist Monks, novices and nuns. The reason why, people and the head of monks think  that English is not concerned  with Buddhist Literature so they do not want to allow studying it.
Learning English itself is not a problem but the people and superstitious monks are making it as a problem. If those monks or novices are studying English, the abbot of temple does not want to him to stay in the temple. That is why; life is extremely difficult for living in a place for one who really wants to learn English.  I also faced these difficulties when I change my mind from studying Pali Literature to English. I had found many temples or monasteries to stay in and to learn what I want to do my life. And what is the better way to live together in good society or community. The sacrifices made me to do something which is directly beneficial to live in daily life. Although the problems faced to me, I tried to get what I really want to do for my decision I made about my future life.
I regularly went to English class and learned from the seniors who had already learned in that class and I was also satisfied in learning with them. When I came back to the temple, I was only one who studied English and nobody wanted to talk with me at first period of time but latter on they knew a little of my attitude and why I really wanted to learn English. In my opinion, why I learn English is to know something about the modernist world and some information such as Western Philosophy, Literature and so on. Then I told them about my ambition so they associated with me whenever I went outside and came back to the monastery as well.  I also was very happy to associate with them and live together and to help each other when it is needed and we shared the ideas what they and I have as experience from learning. And the other reason why I learned English was to go abroad to study and communicate and share what I have learned about Buddhism. This was the main reason. And the second reason was to teach the young generations who are essentially in need of education, especially in our community which is in such a desolate place in our country.
As for me I keep in my mind that I am a leader of our community and as a monk I have to repay and I have a duty which is given at birth to me in my village and area, so that I have to understand that situation or the nature of  human beings. The ones who were born in a place that is very vital for them and they should not forget where they were born. There is much competition in our lives such as social, economic, education and so on especially in business and international trade. In the competition, ability is very important to win.  Having skills in English language is important factors that helps one in gathering information and succeed in the business and professional world.
Therefore, I have changed my mind to learn English. If I have ability to speak more than one language it can be beneficial and useful. Learning and  
getting knowledge are very important things in our social life. If we want to become happier, we have to choose many ways to get knowledge. The best ways is by developing our own ideas and ourselves and to learn another language in a harmonious way.  I hope that my education will help to improve my individual life in good behavior and I will share with our society. 
By Varabuddhi

No comments:

Post a Comment

ဘာေလာ့ေရာက္လာ မ်ားသူငါ က်န္းမာခ်မ္းသာ ဟိပါစီ။ ငါ့ေမတၱာစြမ္း ကမၻာလႊမ္း ၿငိမ္းခ်မ္းကတ္ပါစီ။